Thursday, July 24, 2014

Soaring above the Beach



Soaring above the Beach

24" x 30"
Oil on sandeply Panel

Gwen and Grant playing on the sandy beach at New Brighton Beach in California. 
On the day depicted there were an unusually large number of sea birds - gulls, pelicans, grebes, cormorants and terns soaring and fishing just offshore.

Perhaps it was seeing those birds or just childlike enthusiasm, whatever - they began to soar or dance in pure enthusiasm with the joy of being in this place.

It was a cherished moment.

This painting was on my easel for about five weeks as I worked it, changed my mind, changed value and sunlight and tried to create a unity of effect. No palette can stay fresh for that length of time so part of the challenge was recreating the palette each time I worked on it after an absence.

Katie Powers took the photo used as a reference for this painting.

I'm especially pleased to capture Gwen's sailing energy and her whirling figure.

As you can see from the dimensions above, it is a bit larger than most of my works in this category.

No comments:

Post a Comment